Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Eloise on our date hike

Eloise told me a few months ago while we were on a family walk (plus Spohns and Tessa) that she wanted to go on a date with just me where we would go on a hike. We ran into some time tonight after dropping Conley off at activity boys, so we went. It was so so so so so cute and fun. She was chatty and adorable and just so pleasant and delightful. I offered to drive us to a trailhead, but she said no, that she wanted to walk somewhere so she knew exactly where to go because she had a spot in mind. And a car and bikes couldn't get there.

We walked up past the Rover park, over the bridge, and she gave me the option of taking the arroyo or the trail. I chose the trail. Halfway up she said, "Do you remember going on this trail? And that day you said we couldn't go further and make it to the mountain? Well I want to make it to the mountain tonight." It was pretty warm outside. I was impressed at how good of a walk/hiker she was. We made it all the way up to the mountain and she lost steam right about then but still had a good attitude. I sighed at one point and she said, "Do you like this?" And I said, "Do I like what?" And she said, "Do you like this hike that we're going on? Because you sighed." And I said, "I love it! I love being with you and in the foothills. I sighed because this is good exercise and I wanted to get more oxygen in my body." She smiled so big when I said I liked it. 

Her blond hair was wavy from last night's braids. She wore light pink leggings that she said looked like ballerina leggings; she said she'd wear them to her first dance class this weekend. 

On our way down the mountain, she said, "Ouch" just after we turned around. I offered her my sunglasses and she said, "Thank you. That's much better." When we passed the concrete stair things for damming water (somehow), she thought they were a natural wonder and said, "Thank you earth for making these things that look like seats." We sat on them for a minute until the gnats landed on us and started tickling. I said we needed to keep moving to keep them away. She wiggled all over for a second as we walked.

On the way down the mountain further she said, "The wind feels like Nana and you and Daddy and Conley and all our family together, like a huddle, but a good huddle. It feels good and warm."  

No comments:

Post a Comment