Monday, September 30, 2024

Giving Conley the benefit of the doubt is always the right choice

100% of the time. When I have the foresight to give Conley the benefit of the doubt, what ends up being true always exceeds whatever hypothetical intentions I awarded him. 

He asks me to snuggle with him every single night. It's so so so sweet. He always talks to me. And always holds up the blanket until I lay down next to him; then he covers me up with it. It's so amazingly sweet. He can be crusty toward me all day, argumentative (his age and brain lend itself to that right now), push back, and then just turn into the gooest little muffin at bedtime. He tells me his sweet and sour, lets me pray for him. Lets me read scriptures to him and tell him stories, sing to him. The other night he asked me for a story, and I actually am not great at telling stories. They are usually short and lame and when I finish, the kids say something like, "Is that it?" But anyway he really wanted one so I told him about that time that Paul and I went hiking at the Menaul trailhead and saw a tarantula and Paul lost his mind like a little boy. And Conley wanted another, so I told him about jumping of the railroad bridge into a deep creek below and how fun that was, also with Paul.

Anyway. He's a good boy. It is always a mistake (because I am honestly always wrong) when I assume the worst in his intentions, actions, etc. I attach meaning to his actions, because he is different from me and handles things a lot quieter, more realistically, more logically, and sometimes insensitively. But that doesn't mean he is being mean or spiteful. He is often just thinking, deciding, analyzing. And sometimes he is just being a kid and getting distracted anyway! I pray for patience to remember this and apply it!

No comments:

Post a Comment